Cheltenham Science Festival
Each year, the Doctoral School offers TEN £600 bursaries for doctoral students to attend the Cheltenham Science Festival in June.
The festival has a reputation for getting the best brains in the country together to probe the most topical issues. It provides an excellent opportunity for UCL doctoral students to broaden their horizons, meet leading scientists and other speakers, take part in debate and discussion about public engagement in science. It's also a great experience and a change to enjoy the atmosphere with fellow scientists, policy makers, artists, researchers, the media, the corporate sector and the general public.
The dates for the 2023 Festival are 6–11 June.
Here is what a previous UCL bursary winner had to say:
I was completely blown away by the Cheltenham Science Festival. It was more than just an event; it was an immersive experience, with a palpable atmosphere of excitement.
And Victoria Baltag's account of her Cheltenham Sciences Festival Experience.
The Doctoral School offers ten bursaries to doctoral students, covering:
- £180 of vouchers to attend up to six events per day over the 6 days
- £420 to be used by the student to cover their transport, accommodation and subsistence during the Festival
Please look out for an announcement from the Doctoral School in February 2023 seeking expressions of interest for the 10 funded places in 2023.
You will be asked to make your case by providing brief information on, for example:
- How you would use the experience of attending the Festival
- Provide information about your past experience
- Provide evidence of your commitment to science communication
- How you would engage with the public with your own work
Your Departmental Graduate Tutor will also be asked to write a short recommendation.
Further information on the event is available from the Festival Website.