Yale UCL Collaborative Student Exchange Programme
Yale and UCL have entered into a unique partnership called the Yale UCL Collaborative.
As part of this exciting initiative the two universities have launched an Exchange Scheme for doctoral students, giving UCL students the opportunity to undertake a period of research at Yale as part of their doctorate under the supervision of an identified Yale Supervisor.
This opportunity has been specifically designed to enable UCL doctoral students to experience working in a different academic setting at another world-leading research intensive university and to gather skills that will enhance their current work as well as future personal and professional plans. As ambassadors for UCL, Exchange participants will be expected to make the most of their time at Yale by engaging as fully as possible with Yale's research community. It is hoped that the experience will allow UCL's doctoral students to forge future links between the two institutions and within their research areas.
I am extremely grateful for the help of UCL in making the most of an opportunity to study at Yale for a term and I can not recommend it highly enough to anybody else who might be interested. Everybody at Yale was very friendly and helpful and they provided the perfect environment for me to do some excellent work.
My exchange at Yale University was a great experience I would not want to miss. I gained new knowledge, was able to be a part of another academic environment, meet new people and get new ideas for my project and my future career. I am very thankful that I have been given this opportunity.
Exchanges will normally be for a period of three months, but other periods specifically agreed to by student and proposed Supervisor may be considered. Doctoral students from any research area are eligible to apply for the Exchange. Applications from the following areas are particularly encouraged: Comparative Literature, History, Nanotechnology.
If you would like to apply for the opportunity to visit Yale on an Exchange you should:
- Discuss the opportunity with your UCL Supervisor and identify a suitable Supervisor at Yale who is willing to supervise you for the period of the Exchange.
- Plan the dates of your visit carefully and ensure that you apply to be put forward for the Exchange at least four months in advance, and by the relevant deadline (see Guidelines below).
- Consider whether you/your funding body are in a position to fund your costs, or whether you will in addition be applying for a Yale UCL Bursary.
- Monday October 6 2014 (earliest exchange start date: January 2015)
- Tuesday January 6 2015 (earliest exchange start date: April 2015)
- Monday April 6 2015 (earliest exchange start date: July 2015)
Download Full Guidelines and the Application Form
All queries should be directed to the Doctoral School on ext. 37840 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.